I'm truly sorry it took me so long to get back to this but I have endured two blackouts within the last week and a half (one of which was on Christmas day!), and it's just put me off of everything. I'm getting back on track now, though.
20. Dr. Mario, Publisher: Nintendo, System: NES- A fun and totally addictive puzzle game starring Mario as a doctor throwing pills into a medicine bottle to kill the viruses inside. There were three different color viruses, a blue one, a red one, and a yellow one. You would manipulate blue, red, and yellow capsules, (or a capsule with two different colors) so that they land on the corresponding baddies. Stacking three or more of the same color on top of the virus resulted in the virus dying and thus disappearing. You would continue to do this until the bottle was empty of the viruses, and then you would go to the next screen where the pills fell faster. I loved this game and the soundtrack is one of my favorites. It's one of the first video games that I actually noticed the accompanying musical score. An interesting side note, in a comic based on the game the viruses got names; Fever, Chill, and Weird. I think you can probably guess whose name was what.
19. Katamari Damacy, Publisher: Namco, System: PS2- A third person puzzle game that has you playing the prince who has to rebuild stars, constellations, moon and other bodies in space because the King of All Cosmos ( the prince's father), accidentally destroyed them. You play by manipulating the sticky katamari (which looks a lot like a bumble ball) around to pick up various items with in the area you are. You will have goals that must be met, and if you reach your goal then it helps rebuild part of the Cosmos. It sounds odd, and believe me it is, but it is such fun and really addictive. It's also incredibly Japanese, and it just has that sweet offbeat Japanese flavor that everyone loves.
18. Bust A Move Bash!, Publisher: Majesco, System: Wii- Another awesome puzzle game where you shoot colored bubbles to the top of the screen to connect as many bubbles of the same color as possible to burst sections and clear the area. I've played both Bust A Move ( aka Puzzle Bobble), and Bust A Move Bash! and they are both lots of fun but the Wii, and its controller lends itself really well to the game play and makes it a really fun game experience. It's what we in the business call a winner of a game.
17. Castlevania, Publisher: Konami/Nintendo, System: NES- I love vampires, and vampire stories, always have. More specifically I love Dracula, and when I found out that there was a game called Castlevania that has you going through Dracula's castle killing monsters and then you get to fight Dracula himself at the end, I was hooked, sign me up! It is a lovely game and so much fun. It's typical of its time, in that it's a platformer, but it was a blast. You play Simon Belmont the descendant of a vampire hunting family and you must work your way through the castle killing all manner of ghosts and monsters to get to Dracula and destroy him. Of course it never really takes because there have been about 22 sequels, but it's fun to try. I can remember my Mom marveling at the graphics while I played, (remember she was addicted to the Atari 2600). I had lots of good times playing that game.
16. Doom 3, Publisher: ActiVision, System: Xbox/PC- Doom 3 is basically a remake of the original Doom but with a story, and a whole lot prettier. It is one of the scariest games I have ever played, and let me tell you, it plays like butter. What a fun time that was! It took my boyfriend forever to convince me to play it because it was so damned creepy, but I am so glad that he did. You play the typical bald space marine who lands on Mars just as Hell is about to take over. Your first task is to go find a scientist who has gone off somewhere and bring him back but as you find him all Hell breaks loose... literally. The scientists becomes possessed and you have to kill him, and then make your way back to the Marine base. Along the way you get a myriad of weaponry including a chainsaw (awesome) and the legendary BFG9000. I won't say too much about the story lest I spoil it for anyone who hasn't played it and wants to, but let me just tell you that the game takes you to Hell and back...heh. ;) It makes me sad that there are so many haters, it really is an amazing game. If you like survival horror, first person shooters, or science fiction then this game is for you.
THIS FRI: Halfway 2 Halloween @ Tangent
2 weeks ago