Thursday, February 18, 2010

My Journey: Homeless, or a Close Call.

So, it was exactly 9 months ago today that I took my friend and landlord, Hank to the hospital. It’s probably a good thing that I had no idea what was in store for me then; I probably would have had a nervous breakdown. We’ve struggled to keep the power on, and it’s still iffy, we’ll most likely be losing it really soon. We’ve had our water turned off, we’ve run out of propane, not that it matters because the furnace is broken, so we have to heat the house with the oven…well the broiler to be exact because the oven coil is burned out, we’ve had to eat ramen for days on end and now we’re down to the wire and will be having to leave soon. Hank is still in a coma, and now has been diagnosed with cancer. It does not look good. So on top of our financial problems, I am going to lose one of my best friends, and let’s face it, being poor can be cured; losing a loved one is permanent. Will we be homeless? I hope not, and in all honesty we probably won’t be. We’ll muddle through, and may very well lose stuff that means a lot to us, but living in the street or a shelter isn’t inevitable. It is a distinct possibility however and if that occurs well then I guess a new journey will be had. But I plan on blogging about it no matter what… There are a few possibilities, here. One will be that we get really lucky and find some money and move to Denver in the next few days. Another possibility is that we find somewhere to stay and save money to move and go in a few months. Of course there is the possibility that everything falls to complete shit and we’re out on our ass. I figure even if we’re in the streets or in a shelter I will be able to get to a library or café and get online to post.

I’ve already learned a bunch of new stuff since I’ve started with all of this and I’m not even homeless yet. The first thing and most important is that on a governmental/institutional level altruism is dead. There is no help for most people unless they have children. That’s pretty sad, and quite scary. On a positive note there are still individuals who are willing to help. Mark and Sharon, we appreciate what you’ve done, and we love you. We still have the money you so kindly donated and will be using it to help out our cause. Another thing, there are still a lot of people who mistreat the homeless. Lots of people think that if you are homeless it’s because you’re lazy and that it’s totally your fault. Here is a bit of scary truth for all of you. The fact is…are you ready for it? Anyone, and I mean any one of you, is only two months away from being homeless at any time. That’s not my opinion that is statistical fact. If you’re safe at home and have a good job, be thankful. Also, there are people who have jobs who are homeless. Crazy right? Because really, being homeless has more to do with being really unlucky than it does being lazy. At any rate, I have about had it with being told that there is no help and people expecting me to just get a job, and find a new place etc. If there were jobs to be had I would have one. I have an interview in CO. so it’s not like I’m not trying…ugh. The sad thing is we don’t need tens of thousands of dollars and aren’t asking for it…

Hopefully everything will work out. I’m not as optimistic as I was, but there is still a glimmer of hope. I figure this experience will be something to write about and learn from. Really isn’t that what life is, a series of lessons learned?

2 comments:

Lady Euphoria Deathwatch said...

Hi Velvet,

I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles.

I survived homelessness, and near starvation once. It isn't nice, but you never take shelter for granted again.

I do hope that things turn around for you soon. Let us know how you are doing. We care even if we are unable to physically help you out at the moment.

I'll beseech the powers that be on your behalf.

Hugs, Euphoria

Velvet Cyberpunk said...

Thank you. I really appreciate that.Yes I will never take a lot of things that I previously did for granted ever again. I was always an advocate for the homeless and tried to give whatever I could monetarily and time wise, etc to help people out but now it's an all new ball game.

I take strength and comfort knowing that people do indeed care.